Monday, November 27, 2006

From San Francisco With Love (and Booze)

Over the weekend, I caught up with my former colleague and predecessor, Jonathan Zwickel, who moved out to San Fran in May. We spent Saturday night at Dada, bullshitting about life, love, and music (OK, maybe just music) while local indie faves Humbert rocked the floor-stage. Sure, JZ had downed a few before he said, but I’m gonna hold him to his words:

“Dude, Humbert is the best local band in America… and you can quote me on that.”

So there you have it. While I don’t agree with dubbing anyone best local band in America (without a little subcategorizing, at least), Zwickel’s sentiments prove that South Florida, though lacking in cultural quality, isn’t lacking in musical quality. It takes a lot for a hardcore music guy like Zwickel to get teary-eyed at the thought of going back to San Fran (though, I think it was more of an alcohol-induced glass-eyed effect than actual tears). But I guarantee he feels the same way sober.

[Humbert photo by Karen Keesler]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home